In the fashion world, one of the most forgotten pieces of a man’s suits is his socks. This does not mean socks are not an important part of the wardrobe however. Choosing the wrong sock material or colour can greatly affect how your suits appear and can play a big role in how others view you as a professional. Here are just a few basic things to consider when choosing a pair socks to go with your suits.
Type of Socks
Okay, we don’t want to insult anyone’s fashion sense, but it should be mentioned that when you are picking out a sock to go with a suit, your first choice should not be a pair of athletic socks. They aren’t even appropriate if they are dark coloured. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- Athletic socks are made for athletic shoes, not dress shoes. If you combine these two, chances are the heavy material of the sock will bunch up over the top of the dress shoes. This does not make for a dapper, polished appearance.
- Cheap socks look cheap. These socks are generally ribbed and look odd when placed next to crisp, smooth dress shoes.
The important thing to remember when choosing a type of sock for your suits is to make sure they are dress socks. These socks will have a better quality look to them and will be much thinner than regular socks. Also, one more tip. The trousers on your suits should always be properly hemmed. When you are seated, they shouldn’t ride up too high, but your sock will slightly show at times. For this reason, the right socks are imperative.
Sock Colours and Your Suits
The colour of socks you choose can have a big affect on your suits. You could have purchased the nicest suit in the world, but if you choose the wrong colour of socks to go with it, your wardrobe could be a bit of a trainwreck. Here are just a few rules you should always follow when it comes to pairing the right colour of socks with your suits.
- Match the colour of the socks with your suit, not your shoes. If you wear a light grey suit, your socks should be the same colour.
- If you are a bit daring, match the colour of your socks to your shirt or tie. This can create a very nice looking combination.
- Novelty socks with multiple colours should only be worn while you are in the comfort of your own home. They don’t belong in the office.
More Sock Rules for Your Suits
Here are just a few more fashion tips that can help you when pairing boot socks with your suits.
- Don’t roll your socks up or fold them. This will make you look sloppy and will also make your ankles appear larger than they really. This can be especially true if your suit pants are slim fitting.
- White socks are a big no-no with men’s suits. They should only be worn with athletic clothing, jeans, and tennis shoes.
- Socks need to be replaced every few months because they take a lot of wear and tear. Wearing socks with holes in them will make you look sloppy and lazy, so it is important to throw out worn socks and replace them with brand new pairs.
Choosing the right socks for your suits can greatly affect your look. If you want to be seen as a professional, find the right socks to pair with your suits.